The Junior Counselor program is a volunteer position for teens entering 11th or 12th grade, or graduating from high school. Under the guidance of adult staff, they help lead and teach younger campers in a variety of outdoor activities. Junior Counselors also learn teaching and leadership skills in our 6-day staff training program.
The Benefits of Volunteering at Roughing It:
- Help make a difference in the lives of children
- Training program in youth leadership
- Work for and with the very best staff
- Earn community service hours for graduation or college applications
- Successful Junior Counselors gain first priority at being hired for paid Roughing It positions upon graduation from high school
- Possible promotion to counselor and other positions a full year before individuals who have not participated in the program
- References for your future
- Free transportation included from San Francisco, Alameda and Contra Costa Counties
- Fun, friends, and experiences that last a lifetime
Junior Counselor Requirements:
- Entering junior or senior year of high school in the fall
- Commit to a complete 4 or 8 week session
- Attend the 5-day Staff Training (see dates)
- Attend a Junior Counselor informational meeting with my parent before Staff Training week
- Attend the weekly meetings while a Junior Counselor - Tuesdays after camp (3:00 - 4:30pm)
- Follow all Roughing It personnel policies and dress codes
- Follow all camp rules
How to apply:
Complete and return our Junior Counselor Application (1st-year Junior Counselors) or Returning JC Application (for returning Junior Counselors).
• Mail it to PO Box 1266, Orinda, CA 94563
• Or scan and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
Along with the Junior Counselor Application, you also need to log on to CampInTouch and complete:
• Camper Application Form
• Health History
Job Opportunities for Graduating Seniors
In addition to volunteer positions, graduating High School seniors are eligible to apply for one of our paid support staff positions. All of Roughing It's paid staff must be at least 18 years old and have graduated from High School.
I have a question about being a Junior Counselor. Who should I talk to?
Email any questions you have to email@example.com.