Summer Camp Junior Counselor Program
Be a Roughing It Junior Counselor! Develop youth leadership skills, earn community service credits, and add to your resume.
The Junior Counselor is a volunteer position for teens entering 11th and 12th grade. Junior Counselors commit to attending our 5 day staff training session (alternative arrangements can be made for those with a school conflict) and at least one of our 2-week sessions. We encourage our Junior Counselors to be part of camp as much as possible and would love to have them for 4, 6, or even all 8 weeks of camp! Each session is active, exciting, and all outdoors! Under the guidance of adult staff, Junior Counselors help lead and teach younger campers in a variety of outdoor activities, learn valuable teaching and leadership skills, and help make a difference in the lives of children!
Benefits of Being a Junior Counselor
- Help make a difference in the lives of children
- Training program in youth leadership
- Work for and with the very best staff
- Earn community service hours for graduation or college applications
- Successful Junior Counselors receive hiring priority for paid Roughing It positions upon graduation from high school
- References college applications and future employers
- Free transportation from San Francisco, Alameda and Contra Costa Counties
- Fun, friends, and experiences that last a lifetime
Junior Counselor Responsibilities
- Entering junior or senior year of high school in the fall
- Commit to a complete 2, 4, 6 or 8 week session
- Attend the 5-day Staff Training (see dates)
- Attend a Junior Counselor informational meeting with my parent before Staff Training week via Zoom
- Attend the weekly meetings while a Junior Counselor – Tuesdays after camp (3:00 – 4:30pm)
- Follow all Roughing It personnel policies and dress codes
- Follow all camp rules and camper guidelines
Job Opportunities for Graduating Seniors
In addition to volunteer positions, graduating High School seniors are eligible to apply for one of our paid support staff positions. All of Roughing It’s paid staff must be at least 18 years old and have graduated from High School.
How to apply:
Step #2: After we review your application, your parent/guardian (or yourself if you are 18+ years) creates a CampInTouch account and completes the Health History form.
I have a question about being a Junior Counselor. Who should I talk to?
Have questions about our COVID-19 this summer?
We take your safety seriously! Read our Staff COVID Guidelines for our updated practices & protocols for this summer.
Transportation to/from camp for Junior Counselors
For Summer 2022, Junior Counselors should plan to ride the bus. (See 2022 bus stops) We love to have our Junior Counselors ride the bus because camp starts on the bus! They do an amazing job of helping supervise the campers as well as help out the newer campers feel more included and comfortable.
If this is not possible, email email@example.com and we can help to accommodate!