Develop youth leadership skills, earn community service credits, and add to your resume.
Junior Counselors are a volunteer position for teens entering 11th and 12th grade. To apply, Junior Counselors must have attended Roughing It Day Camp before as a camper.
Junior Counselors attend our 5-day staff training session at the beginning of the summer and at least one of our 2-week sessions. The position is active, exciting, and all outdoors! Under the guidance of adult staff, Junior Counselors help lead and teach younger campers in a variety of outdoor activities, learn valuable teaching and leadership skills, and help make a difference in the lives of children.
We have a limited number of Junior Counselor positions open. To apply, Junior Counselors must have attended Roughing It Day Camp before as a camper.
- Help make a difference in the lives of children
- Training program in youth leadership
- Work for and with the very best staff
- Earn community service hours for graduation or college applications
- Successful Junior Counselors receive hiring priority for paid Roughing It positions upon graduation from high school
- References college applications and future employers
- Transportation included San Francisco, Alameda and Contra Costa Counties
- Fun, friends, and experiences that last a lifetime
- Entering junior or senior year of high school in the fall
- Commit to 2, 4, 6 or 8 week session
- Attend the 5-day Staff Training (see dates)
- Attend a Junior Counselor informational meeting with a parent before Staff Training week via Zoom
- Attend the weekly meetings while a Junior Counselor – Tuesdays after camp (3:00 – 4:30pm)
- Follow all Roughing It personnel policies and dress codes
- Follow all camp rules and camper guidelines
- Follow all staff COVID guidelines and be fully vaccinated
Job Opportunities for Graduating Seniors
Graduating High School seniors are eligible to apply for one of our paid support staff positions. All of Roughing It’s paid staff must be at least 18 years old and have graduated from High School.
All Junior Counselors ride the bus (see bus stops). They do an amazing job of helping supervise the campers as well as help out the newer campers feel more included and comfortable.
How To Apply
We have a limited number of Junior Counselor positions open. Junior Counselors must have attended Roughing It Day Camp before as a camper.
If you are interested in applying or have questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your inquiry.
Step #1: Complete our online Junior Counselor Application
Step #2: After we review your application, your parent/guardian (or yourself if you are 18+ years) creates a CampInTouch account and completes the Health History and Authorized Adult form.
Are you a returning JC? Fill out our Returning JC App.