The Junior Counselor program is a volunteer position for teens entering 11th or 12th grade, or graduating from high school. The full-day program lasts 4 or 8 weeks, and is an active, exciting, all-outdoors commitment. Under the guidance of adult staff, you help lead and teach younger campers in a variety of outdoor activities, and you’ll learn valuable teaching skills after attending our 6-day staff training program.
The Benefits of Volunteering at Roughing It:
- Help make a difference in the lives of children
- Training program in youth leadership
- Work for and with the very best staff
- Earn community service hours for graduation or college applications
- Successful Junior Counselors gain first priority at being hired for paid Roughing It positions upon graduation from high school
- Possible promotion to counselor and other positions a full year before individuals who have not participated in the program
- References for your future
- Free transportation included from San Francisco, Alameda and Contra Costa Counties
- Fun, friends, and experiences that last a lifetime
Junior Counselor Requirements:
- Entering junior or senior year of high school in the fall
- Commit to a complete 4 or 8 week session
- Attend the 5-day Staff Training (see dates)
- Attend a Junior Counselor informational meeting with my parent before Staff Training week
- Attend the weekly meetings while a Junior Counselor – Tuesdays after camp (3:00 – 4:30pm)
- Follow all Roughing It personnel policies and dress codes
- Follow all camp rules
Job Opportunities for Graduating Seniors
In addition to volunteer positions, graduating High School seniors are eligible to apply for one of our paid support staff positions. All of Roughing It’s paid staff must be at least 18 years old and have graduated from High School.
How to apply:
Complete and return our Junior Counselor Application
- Mail it to PO Box 1266, Orinda, CA 94563
- Fax it to 925-283-1619
- Scan or send a photo to firstname.lastname@example.org
Along with the Junior Counselor Application, you also need to log on to CampInTouch and complete:
- Camper Application Form
- Health History
I have a question about being a Junior Counselor. Who should I talk to?
Email any questions you have to email@example.com.