Staff Requirements and Screening
Roughing It hires individuals who are positive role models for campers and want to make a difference in the community.
Roughing It staff are positive role models for our camp community who are committed to helping campers learn and grow in the outdoors. Join our team to make a difference in children’s lives this summer. Here is an overview of the staff requirements and application process.
General Requirements Include:
- Able to work camp dates & training
- 18 years or older
- High school graduate (or will graduate by the time camp starts). Some positions require at least first or second year completion of college.
- Ability to be a positive role model
- Ability to provide two references
Workplace Requirements Include:
- Roughing It is a drug and alcohol free workplace
- Roughing It is a non-smoking workplace
- Follow all Roughing It personnel policies
- Follow the Roughing It Dress code
- Employees are subject to alcohol & drug testing
- Employees are subject to fingerprinting and fingerprint submission
- Employees are subject to routine background investigation by the California Department of Justice and commercial background investigation service
- Employees must follow Staff COVID Protocols
Roughing It Staff Selection Process
- Applicant completes staff application
- Roughing It checks applicant’s references
- Applicant completes additional job-specific application(s)
- Applicant interviews with one of our Directors
Roughing It Staff Screening Process
- Background investigation complete
- Complete staff orientation prior to start of staff training
- Complete all staff certifications prior to start of camp
- Submit to random drug and alcohol testing
Our staff are role models and representatives of our camp community. When working at camp, your character is important as you are a positive influence on campers’ lives. Every staff member should read and agree to our camp policies before they submit an application. See Roughing It’s Personnel Policies and Roughing It’s Dress Code.
Our staff understand that working at Roughing It is a commitment. Our camp is child focused so the job is rewarding and includes many responsibilities. All staff agree to the following in their work agreement:
- Agree to uphold Roughing It rules and follow Roughing It policies and procedures.
- Agree to abide by all laws and regulations of the State of California in regards to appropriate behavior with children and accept the responsibility to report any suspected child abuse by signing the mandated child abuse reporter form.
- Agree to follow Roughing It supervision policies which monitors day-to-day relationships with campers and forbids any communication or meeting with campers outside on camp without specific approval of the directors.
- Agree to extensive and close staff supervision in which staff receive ongoing training and evaluations on their job perform.
- Agree to be partners with parents and to positively communicate with them according to our guidelines.
Evaluation & Feedback
Roughing It provides ongoing evaluations and training for all staff on their job performance. Our goal is for staff to continue to grow in their counseling and leadership during the summer by receiving feedback both formal and informal on their progress and job performance. The written evaluations they receive become part of their personnel file. They are also encouraged to give administrators vital feedback and suggestions.
Roughing It also depends on communication and feedback between parents, Roughing It, and counselors:
- Parent input is sought and encouraged during each session
- Group Counselors make phone calls to parents during the first week of the new session
- Counselors and administrators contact parents in a pro-active manner
- Parents are encouraged to contact us at any time us via phone or email.
- Every camper and parent receives a Camp Survey at the end of the camp session to evaluate their camp experience.
A Commitment to Excellence
We are proud to have such comprehensive employment screening and staffing procedures. This is a major reason why our camp parents tell us that Roughing It staff are truly superior. We want parents to both understand how completely we screen our staff and how much more extensive a job we do in our selection, training and supervision than other camps and youth organizations.