Part-Time Marketing Assistant
The Marketing Assistant’s focus is on marketing outreach to potential families, and they also help guide prospective camper families toward the camp program which best fits their needs and expectations.
About the Part-Time Marketing Assistant Position
The Marketing Assistant works in the Roughing It office with our Directors and other Camp Administrators. Their focus is on marketing outreach to potential families, but they also help guide prospective camper families toward the camp program which best fits their needs and expectations. They may also help enrolled families prepare for their upcoming camp session and ensure a successful experience.
Assistants are normally hired to provide assistance and support in one primary area of our organization. However, our camp office is fast paced and there are times when assistants are assigned projects and responsibilities in other areas. As a result, the ideal candidate will have skills in a variety of areas and be flexible when taking on different projects.
Responsibilities for Marketing Assistant
Assists with Marketing Initiatives and Plans:
- Manage lead generation systems for new camper families
- Create new content for, and revise existing blogs
- Update marketing media: flyers, brochures, ads
- Place ads in online and print media
- Prepare and manage email/mail campaigns
- Maintain and update database programs and track leads
- Monitor KPI and create weekly reports
- Track ads using Google AdWords, Google Analytics (we will provide training)
- Assist in organizing camp events
- Liaison with local schools & organizations on marketing initiatives
- Track SEO results from Roughing It webpages
- General office support
- Serve as camp receptionist and the friendly routing of all telephone communication
- Customer service: respond to camp families via email and phone
- Assist with camper registration
- Organization and upkeep of office/camp facilities
- Scan, file and organize documents
- Assist with personnel, media, registrar, and other camp departments as needed
Specific Qualifications for Marketing Assistant
- Ability to carry out projects independently, and also collaborate ideas among the office team
- Experience in Marketing, Sales, and/or Customer Service
- Some college education (preference shown toward candidates with a completed Bachelor’s degree)
- The ability to learn new programs used at Roughing It
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Excellent phone and email communication skills
- Ability to perform general office duties (filing, answering the phone, word processing, copying, mailing, organizing and running all the mechanics of the office)
- Valid driver’s license and excellent driving record. Must be able to drive Roughing It vehicles on occasional errands.
- Ability to work independently and accurately
- Lift approximately 30 pounds (whether it be equipment, boxes, files, etc.)
- Fine motor dexterity – typing, filing papers, etc.
- The ability to learn new programs used at Roughing It
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time (4-8 hours/day)
- Ability to walk 1 mile on both paved and varied terrain an at the Lafayette Reservoir in order to occasionally assist with marketing or camp events.
- Can stand and assist with special events outside in the sun for up to 4 hours
- Ability to comply with Roughing It policies and procedures, including but not limited to Staff Dress Code and Staff Personnel Policies
- Must be comfortable and able to work around dogs and horses
Ability to Master New Software and New Tasks
Most of the tasks for the Sales and Marketing Assistant can be easily mastered by individuals who are comfortable with computers and general office procedures. Many of the skills can be learned on the job and applicants should not be discouraged from applying because they are not familiar with a specific software package. Please feel free to apply and to discuss tasks and duties with us.
All positions require a strong knowledge of Windows based programs and the ability to learn new computer software. Programs used in our office include:
- Microsoft Word
- Internet Explorer
- Microsoft Outlook or Thunderbird
- Microsoft Publisher
- Adobe Photoshop Lightroom
- ACT! 2013 and Hubspot (lead database programs)
- CampMinder (camper registration program)
- Camper Caboodle (camp blog and community website)
Other programs that are helpful but are not mandatory are:
- Microsoft Access
- Microsoft Excel
- Adobe Acrobat
Making a Difference in the Lives of Children - the MAJOR Benefit
The Office Assistant is an integral member of our team and contributes greatly to the success of each camper’s summer experience. Our Office Assistants interact with both camp staff and camper families on a regular basis. You will truly have to opportunity to make many positive contributions to the lives of our campers and staff.
Additional benefits of this position include:
- Flexible schedule: work around your other commitments. We are happy to accommodate time off for holiday vacations, minimum days at school, and other appointments for you or your family.
- Maintain your professional skills: stay current on marketing techniques and software. Keep your skills competitive.
- Paid training: learn and practice current marketing methods
- Free summer camp tuition: in addition to hourly salary, your children can attend 8 weeks of Roughing It’s Day Camp program
You may adjust your schedule within our office hours, Mondays-Fridays, 9am-5pm. While we are flexible in the Marketing Assistant’s work schedule, the normal work schedule for this position has been:
- Sep-Feb: 12-20 hours/week
- March-August: minimum 20 hours/week. Up to 30 hours/week may be available if requested.
While this is a part-time job, all office positions require a higher level of scheduling commitment during the spring months, which is our busiest season as we prepare for camp. Depending on performance and projects available, summer hours may be part-time or full-time.
All of our year-round positions work from the Roughing It Camp office in Lafayette, which is conveniently located with easy access from the freeway and public transportation.