Part-Time Camp Registrar
The Registrar will work in the Roughing It main office with our Directors and other Camp Administrators.
About the Part-Time Camp Registrar Position
The Registrar is often the first point of contact at Roughing It for campers and families who are registering for camp or calling in with questions. He or she is indispensable as a connection with our camper families, as an office manager, and as an account manager.
Specific Duties for Registrar
- Secure and Process camper registrations in a timely manner
- Maintain the Roughing It camper database
- Produce registration reports
- Invoice customers
- Prepare bank deposits
- Secure and Process payments in a timely manner
General Office Support
- Serves as camp receptionist and the friendly routing of all telephone communication
- Customer service: servicing camper families and prospective customers including daily communication (phone and email)
- Answer questions on customer accounts from camper families and assist with camper registration
- Scan, file and organize documents
- General office upkeep: supply ordering, organization and upkeep of facilities
- Customer Service: provide camp information to camp families and respond via email and phone to camper inquiries
- Represents Roughing It at events (Open Houses and Community Fairs)
- Assist sales, marketing, personnel, and other areas of camp
Specific Qualifications for Registrar
- Strong knowledge of Windows-based programs – MS Word, MS Outlook, Internet Explorer
- Some college education
- The ability to learn new programs used at Roughing It, blog programs, the Roughing It website, and lead and camper management database programs
- Excellent writing skills
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Excellent phone and email communication skills
- Ability to perform general office duties (filing, answering the phone, word processing, copying, mailing, organizing and running all the mechanics of the office)
- Valid driver’s license and excellent driving record. Must be able to drive Roughing It vehicles on occasional errands.
- Ability to work independently and accurately
- Lift approximately 30 pounds (whether it be equipment, boxes, files, etc.)
- Fine motor dexterity – typing, filing papers, etc.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time (4-8 hours/day)
- Is able to walk up the hill from the Lafayette Reservoir parking lot to the large “East Field” of the Reservoir
- Ability to walk 1 mile on both paved and varied terrain and trails at the Lafayette Reservoir in order to work camp events year-round and/or assist during the summer season.
- Can assist with special events outside (stand for extended periods at Open Houses and Community Fairs or be able to lead walking tours at the Lafayette Reservoir)
- Ability to comply with Roughing It policies and procedures, including but not limited to Staff Dress Code and Staff Personnel Policies
- Must be comfortable and able to work around dogs and horses
Ability to Master New Software and New Tasks
Most of the tasks for the Registrar can be easily mastered by individuals who are comfortable with computers and general office procedures. Many of the skills can be learned on the job and applicants should not be discouraged from applying because they have not worked in a specific software package. Please feel free to apply and to discuss tasks and duties with us.
All positions require a strong knowledge of Windows based programs and the ability to learn new computer software. Programs used in our office include:
- Microsoft Word
- Internet Explorer
- Microsoft Outlook or Thunderbird
- Microsoft Publisher
- Adobe Photoshop Lightroom
- ACT! 2013 and Hubspot (lead database programs)
- CampMinder (camper registration program)
- Camper Caboodle (camp blog and community website)
Other programs that are helpful but are not mandatory are:
- Microsoft Access
- Microsoft Excel
- Adobe Acrobat
Making a Difference in the Lives of Children - the MAJOR Benefit
The Registrar is an integral member of our team and contributes greatly to the success of each camper’s summer experience. Our Office Assistants interact with both camp staff and camper families on a regular basis. You will truly have to opportunity to make many positive contributions to the lives of our campers and staff.
Pay starts at $11.00/hour with increases equivalent to number of hours worked. Promotion to the next pay level is contingent on successful mastery of the various camp software programs and office procedures. Promotion is made at the sole discretion of the owner/directors.
For a complete list of salaries and promotions please see our Part-Time Salary information page.
Additional benefits of this position include:
- Flexible hours to work with and around your schedule
- Being close to home if needed
- Working with a great staff
- Free camp tuition for your children while you are employed at camp!
While we are flexible in the Registrar’s work schedule, the normal work schedule for this position has been:
School Year (12-25 hours/week): Mon-Fri 10am-2pm or Mon/Wed/Fri 9:30am-2:30pm Summer Season (30-40 hours/week): Mon-Fri 8am-4:30pm (1/2 hour lunch)
This is a part-time job during the off-season and requires 12-25 hours per week of work. Hours increase during the camp season, usually June 1st-Labor Day, to 30-40 hours/week. The Roughing It Camp office is conveniently located in Lafayette with easy access from the freeway and public transportation.