Horse Day Camp
Horse Day Camp is a complete Horsemanship Program for riders of all levels. Campers learn equitation skills, self-confidence, and a love of horses in 2-week sessions.
For Summer 2022, we are not offering Horse Day Camp due to COVID limitations.
See Our Day Camp Programs for Summer 2022.
We know our campers love riding and so do we! We are very sad we are not able offer Horse Day Camp this summer. Based on current guidelines, especially the significant limitations on bus capacity and physical distancing, using our usual small bus shuttles to the ride site is not possible. This year, we can only use large buses for transporting campers which are not permitted on the country road to the riding site. We’ve looked at a number of other options, none of which are workable for us at this time. Our campers may sign up to for private riding lessons after camp, run by Jojo our 2019 Riding Coordinator, at her ranch (more details coming this spring). We plan to bring riding back for Summer 2022.
Horse Day Camp is our premier English riding program for campers going into grades 4th through 10th. It is a full-day horse program located on our private ranch and includes two riding lessons daily. Free transportation from 33 central bus stops around the bay area. Free extended care.
A Tradition of Excellence, Since 1972
Horse Day Camp grew out of the unique and successful horseback riding program that is part of Roughing It Day Camp. It is founded, owned, and operated by Ann and Hobie Woods.
- Great Staff. Our Horse Day Camp staff members are adults who are expert horse instructors and great role models. They make learning to ride fun and successful for every child.
- Camper Grouping. Campers are grouped by their skill level, beginner through advanced.
- Riding Periods and Activities. Campers have two formal riding lessons each day where they learn English equitation, hunt seat, show jumping, and dressage.
- Additional Activities. Campers also participate in vaulting, mounted games, horsemanship, horse care, barn chores, and horse crafts.
- Private Ranch in Moraga. Instruction takes place in our large riding arena. There is also a cross-country course for more advance riders and trails to explore in the “Back 40”.
- Horse Show. Parents can see their camper ride on Thursday of the last week of each session.
Free Transportation & Extended Care
The Horse Day Camp Program
Roughing It combines the quality instruction of a riding school with the fun of a real summer camp. We evaluate riding skill on the first day of camp and group campers with riders of similar skills and experience.