Staff Selection and Screening
Roughing It spends a great deal of time and effort to
select the best staff for our camp. We view our staff as both
role models and representatives of the Roughing It community. All
staff are an extension of our high standards and commitment to
excellence. The many steps that staff applicants go
through as part of our hiring process ensures that each fits well
with our camp and that their work here will be beneficial for them, our campers, and the Roughing It
Roughing It Staff Selection Process
- Applicant submits resume
- Applicant completes staff application
- Roughing It checks applicant's four references
- Applicant interviews with personnel recruiter
- Applicant has personal, face-to-face interview with Ann Woods, Camp Director
Roughing It Staff Screening Process
- Background investigation complete
- Complete staff orientation prior to start of staff training
- Complete all staff certifications prior to start of camp
- Submit to random drug and alcohol testing
Character really does count at Roughing It as staff dress,
behavior and attitudes influence campers more than anything else. Detailed information on appropriate staff language, behavior and
dress are contained in Roughing It's personnel policies (view) and
dress code (view). Every staff member reads and agrees
to these policies before they submit an application.
Learn more about Roughing It policies:
Our staff understand that working at Roughing It is a serious
commitment. Our camp is "child focused" and the job is as demanding as
it is rewarding. All staff agree to the following in their work agreement:
- Agree to work the full camp season (view
- Agree to uphold the Roughing It rules and their own groupís Code of Living
- Agree to abide by all laws and regulations of the State of California in regards including appropriate behavior with children and accept the responsibility to report any suspected child abuse by signing the mandated child abuse reporter form.
- Agree to follow Roughing Itís Supervision Policies with campers which both monitors day to day relationships with campers and forbids any relationships outside on camp with out specific approval of the directors.
- Agree to Extensive and Close Staff Supervision in which staff receive ongoing training and evaluations on their job perform.
- Agree to be partners with parents and to communicate with them according to our guidelines.
Evaluation & Feedback
Roughing It provides ongoing evaluations and training for all staff
on their job performance. Our goal is for staff to continue to
grow in their counseling and leadership during the summer by
receiving feedback both formal and informal on their progress and
job performance. The written evaluations they receive become part
of their personnel files. They are encouraged to also give
administrators vital feedback and suggestions.
Roughing It also depends on communication and feedback with parents:
- Parent input is sought and encouraged during each session
- Group Counselors make phone calls to parents during the first week of the new session
- Counselors and administrators contact parents in a pro-active manner
- Parents are encouraged to contact us at any time us via phone or email to give us their input.
- Every camper and parent receives a Camp Survey at the end of the camp session to complete and return to us to give us their evaluation of their camp experience.
A Commitment to Excellence
We are proud to have such comprehensive employment screening and staffing
procedures. This is a major reason why our camp parents tell us that
Roughing It staff are truly superior. We want parents to both
understand how completely we screen our staff and how much more
extensive a job we do in our selection, training and supervision
than other camps and youth organizations.
call us or email if you have any other questions on this or any
other aspect of Roughing It. We value your questions and input.
Ann and Hobie are always available to talk personally with parents